Sunday, June 24, 2007

Kenpou: Grading test for shodan

Some of the Waseda fighters

070624, Sunday

For the third Sunday in a row it was time for a new kenpou fight. Unlike the two previous times, today was not a tournament but a grading test to see if you can go up to a higher level. In the morning I performed the kata for shodan with a Waseda partner. It went well :) In the afternoon it was time for the fights. My first fight was against a woman with the same grade as me, 1kyuu. I have met her twice before and won both times. Luckily, I was able to win today too. My second fight was against a woman with 2 dan. I have also met her twice before. The first time she won, the second time I won. Today I was able to win again :) This meant I proceeded from 1kyuu to shodan, that is getting the black belt!! This has been my goal ever since I started doing kenpou in October last year. I knew that I only had this one chance today, since I will be leaving Japan shortly, and I am very happy that I was able to reach my goal!! :)