Thursday, February 08, 2007

Harajuku and Tokyo Tower

The famous Takeshita Street in Harajuku

Crepes are very popular in Harajuku

Torii
(gateway at the entrance to a Shinto shrine)

Meiji Shrine

Tokyo Tower

Beautiful view

In the background to the right is the Rainbow Bridge (in Odaiba)

Between me and the ground, 145 meters down, is nothing but 2 layers of glass

Tokyo Tower lit up

070208, Thursday

Today I went to Harajuku with a Japanese friend from school. Harajuku is a special area where you may spot young Japanese wearing special outfits, for instance dressed up like Gothic Lolitas. There are also a lot of shops here. The main street for shopping is Takeshita Street. My friend and I did not buy any clothes, however we bought a crepe. The fillings in my crepe were bananas, ice cream and a piece of apple pie. Amazing how much you can put in a crepe haha. It was very good. Later on we continued to the Meiji Shrine, which is just close by. Since we went there in the afternoon on a Thursday the place was not crowded at all. It was very peaceful. I had not been to Tokyo Tower yet so we decided to go there. The height of the tower is 333 meters and it weighs about 4000 tons compared to the Eiffeltower, which is 320 meters high and weighs 7000 tons. We went up to the first "floor" on 145 meters which is called "Main Observatory". It was almost 5.30PM so it had become dark outside. Thanks to that we had a beautiful 360-degree view of the Kantou region surrounding Tokyo :) It was astonishing! There is even a special "Lookdown Window" that you can stand on. Of course we had to do that haha :) Feeling content about seeing this magnificient view we decided to have dinner. My friend took me to a restaurant that I had not been to yet. It was a tabehoudai and nomihoudai. On the food menue there is karaage (fried chicken), french fries, yakitori (grilled chicken) etc. It was delicious! I really like karaage :) I think I might go to this restaurant again some time hehe. We had a great time today and I am looking forward to spending more time with my new friend.